A Creative Tool for Assessments, Interventions, and Learning for Work with Adversity and Stress in Children and Adults.
Dr Karen Treisman has designed this versatile and colourful card deck to enable practitioners supporting children, teens or adults who have experienced trauma, stress or adversity.
The cards are organized into four different types:
- sentence completion cards
- survival response cards
- signals/signs cards
- different types of trauma cards
In combination, the cards provide you with a rich resource which enables you to:
- Increase understanding of the multi-layered impact of trauma, stress, and adversity – including common sensory, physical, emotional, cognitive and relational aspects.
- Deepen assessment and information-gathering
- Reflect on progress and the journey
- Inform goals and focus interventions
- Identify survival responses, feelings and experiences
- Use metaphors, analogies and symbols to support Find new ways to name, label or describe experiences or feelings
- Increase empathy, understanding and compassion
- Support reflection and curiosity
- Explore the wider lens of trauma – including cultural, intergenerational, medical, war trauma etc.
- And much more!
Developed to be inclusive of a variety of learning styles, abilities and language skills, the pack can be used with individuals, groups, teams and organizations. Accompanied by a comprehensive explanatory booklet, they will enable you to create assessments, psychoeducation and interventions which are playful, enriching and creative.
Dr Karen Treisman is a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist who has worked in the NHS and children’s services for ten years. She has also worked cross-culturally in Africa and Asia, with groups ranging from former child soldiers to survivors of the Rwandan Genocide. Karen has extensive experience in the areas of trauma, parenting, and attachment, and works clinically using a range of therapeutic approaches with families, children and young people. She is the director of Safe Hands and Thinking Minds Psychological Services (www.safehandsthinkingminds.co.uk), and is an external consultant and trainer to Barnardos, PAC-UK, Hope for families, and the Fostering Network. Karen has worked in several Looked after Children teams and within the National Implementation Service for evidence-based interventions at the Maudsley Hospital. She currently works as Clinical Lead in a court assessment and intensive parenting intervention team in Islington.
Also available from this author
- A Therapeutic Treasure Box for Working with Children and Adolescents with Developmental Trauma: Creative Techniques and Activities
- A Therapeutic Treasure Deck of Feelings and Sentence Completion Cards
- A Therapeutic Treasure Deck of Grounding, Soothing, Coping and Regulating Cards
- A Therapeutic Treasure Deck of Strengths and Self-Esteem Cards
- The Trauma Treasure Deck Reference Cards
- Parenting Patchwork Treasure Deck: A Creative Tool for Assessments, Interventions, and Strengthening Relationships with Parents, Carers, and Children
- Binnie the Baboon Anxiety and Stress Activity Book: A Therapeutic Story with Creative and CBT Activities To Help Children Aged 5-10 Who Worry
- Cleo the Crocodile Activity Book for Children Who Are Afraid to Get Close: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities About Trust, Anger, and Relationships for Children Aged 5-10
- Gilly the Giraffe Self-Esteem Activity Book: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities for Children Aged 5-10
- Presley the Pug Relaxation Activity Book: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities to Help Children Aged 5-10 to Regulate Their Emotions and to Find Calm
- Working with Relational and Developmental Trauma in Children and Adolescents