Packed with simple ideas to regulate the emotions and senses, this book will help children tackle difficult feelings head-on and feel awesome and in control! From breathing exercises, pressure holds and finger pulls, to fidgets, noise-reducing headphones and gum, the book is brimming with fun stuff to help kids feel cool, calm and collected. They will learn how to label difficult feelings, choose the perfect strategies and tools to tackle them, and use these correctly whether at home or at school. The strategies and tools are accompanied by cartoon-style illustrations, and the author includes useful tips for parents as well as handy visual charts and checklists to track learning and progress. Armed with this book, kids will be well on their way to managing difficult emotions and feeling just right in whatever situation life throws at them!
It is suitable for children with emotional and sensory processing difficulties aged approximately 7 to 14 years.
- Hey Kids, Let Me Tell You A Little About Me and This Book!
- 1. Label That Feeling!
- 2. Let’s Learn the HOW of Using Anywhere Body Breaks!
- 3. Let’s Learn the HOW of Using Tools!
- 4. Let’s Learn the HOW of Using Big Body Breaks!
- 5. Choosing the Right Strategy is Like Ordering Fast Food…Sort Of.
- 6. Wow! You Are a Body Control and Self-Regulation Expert! But Not So Fast, Your Work is Not Done Yet!; Some Important Tips for My Fellow Parents.
- Some Important Tips for Teachers.
- Some Important Information about the Major Sensory Systems.
- Tips of the Trade!: Ways to Make Your Home or Classroom Most Conducive to Self-Regulated Kids.; Appendices.
Lauren Brukner is a Senior Occupational Therapist who lives in New York City with her husband and three children, two of whom have emotional and sensory integration difficulties. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, and s a Master’s of Science degree in Occupational Therapy from New York University. She specializes in sensory integration and self-regulation strategies in children and young people, and their implementation in home, school and community settings. She has postgraduate training in neuroscience, sensory integration theory and practice, occupational health sciences, and physiological approaches to Occupational Therapy practice, and is also a Certified Screener for Irlen Syndrome and Scotopic Sensitivity. She provides services and workshops to a broad range of school staff, including general and special education teachers, speech language therapists, counsellors, and paraprofessionals. Lauren won the gold seal in the Mom’s Choice Awards, 2016 for family friendly media, products and services.
Also from this author
- Kids’ Guide to Staying Awesome and in Control: Simple Stuff to Help Children Regulate Their Emotions and Senses
- How to Be a Superhero Called Self-Control!: Super Powers to Help Younger Children to Regulate their Emotions and Senses
- Stay Cool and In Control with the Keep-Calm Guru: Wise Ways for Children to Regulate their Emotions and Senses
- Self-Control to the Rescue!: Super Powers to Help Kids Through the Tough Stuff in Everyday Life