Endorsed by Amnesty International
What is it like to have to leave everything behind and travel many miles to somewhere unfamiliar and strange? A mother and her two children set out on such a journey; one filled with fear of the unknown but also great hope. Based on her own interactions.
“I look up to the birds that seem to be following us. They are migrating just like us. And their journey, like ours, is very long but they don’t have to cross any borders.” With haunting echoes of current affairs this beautifully illustrated book explores the unimaginable decisions made as a family leave their home and everything they know to escape the turmoil and tragedy brought by war. This book will stay with you long after the last page is turned.
- A beautifully sympathetic and relevant tale about the plight of migrants.
- A wonderful book for discussing immigration.
- Stunning illustrations make this a beautiful book to hold.
Francesca Sanna is an Italian illustrator and graphic designer based in Switzerland. After she finished her studies in Cagliari, the main city of her beloved Mediterranean island (Sardinia) she said goodbye to her family and her cat (Berta) and moved to Germany before and Switzerland after, in order to follow her dream and be able to work as an illustrator. She graduated in 2015 from the Lucerne School of Art and Design with a Master of Design with focus on Illustration. The Journey is her first picture book
“A wonderful teaching tool for those who are welcoming refugees into their community” – The New York Times
“Haunting illustrations chronicle one refugee family’s harrowing escape from the darkness of war. A tale of love, courage, and perseverance.” – The New York Public Library
“We cannot imagine a better way to introduce children ages 5 – 7 to the piercing realities of becoming a refugee. We wish that this book was required reading for every single official making decisions that affect migrants.” – Spirituality and Practice
- Winner of the 2017 Ezra Jack Keats New Author Honour and New Illustrator Honour Awards!
- Selected as an ALSC notable children’s book of 2017
- Selected for the 2017 USBBY outstanding international books list
- Included in CCBC choices 2017
- A The New York Times’ notable children’s book of 2016
- A wall street journal’s best children’s books of 2016
- A publisher’s weekly’s best books of 2016
- A Kirkus Reviews’ best picture books of 2016
- A School Library journal’s best picture books of 2016
- A guardian’s best children’s books of 2016
- A New York public library’s best books for kids 2016
- An all the wonders’ best picture books of 2016
- A let’s talk picture books’ best picture books of 2016
- A chickadee lit’s picture books to celebrate kindness
Hard cover (Picture book)
Age range 5+