This collection of fun and adaptable activities, games, stories and handouts is a complete resource for supporting children coping with stress and difficult emotions. From engaging arts and crafts, to interactive stories and relaxing meditations, all the interventions and activities are thematically structured so that each chapter contains the means for building specific skills or overcoming behavioral issues. Each chapter contains suggested goals, positive affirmations and photocopiable handouts to enable a child to continue practising and learning new life skills outside of sessions with parents or professionals.
The activities in this book are ideal for use with children aged 3-12 to help them rebalance and gain a strong grasp on their emotions.
- 1. Building Interpersonal and Social Skills.
- 2. Creating Healthy Boundaries.
- 3. Reducing Oppositional Behaviour.
- 4. Anger Management.
- 5. Increasing Focus/Reducing Impulsivity.
- 6. Taming Anxiety and Stuck Thoughts/Behaviours.
- 7. Social Anxiety and Selective Mutism.
- 8. Improved Sleep.
- 9. Sadness and Depression.
- 10. Increasing Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem.
- 11. Grief and Loss.
- 12. Traumatic Events and Illnesses.
- 13. Family Challenges.
Bonnie Thomas, LCSW is a child and family counsellor who lives on the coast of Maine with her husband, her son, a pug, and a Chihuahua. She has a passion for creative expression, arts and crafts, nature based activities, and playful living. She is also the author of numerous books