The health and wellbeing benefits of journaling are well-documented, stemming from work of James Pennebaker at the University of Texas. This book explains the researched benefits of mindful journaling. Drawing on the author’s extensive writing experience, it is a thorough, practical exploration of how to use journaling positively, and how actually to break through the barriers and write.
- Where to start
- Writing your experience
- Recording key moments – or ‘steppingstones’
- Dealing with writer’s block
- Free writing and how to use it
- Other techniques such as recording and listing
- Letter writing and creativity
- How to integrate keeping a journal with the mindful practice of letting go
Philip Cowell is a writer, poet and mindfulness practitioner and trainer. He runs mindfulness-based stress reduction courses and workshops in London.