Parenting toddlers can be challenging but mindfulness can help! The popular author of Sitting Still Like a Frog offers advice and tools for parents of kids ages 18 months to 4 years to respond skillfully and with mindful intention, especially in difficult moments.
In The Little Frog Awakes, Eline Snel offers parents of young children advice and tools for responding mindfully and effectively in the moment. These skills help us regain trust in ourselves and in the integral wholeness of our kids. And when we make mindfulness practice a part of daily life, it gives our children a powerful message on how to recognize, name, and deal with emotions and situations.
This practical guide will help you to:
- connect with and respond mindfully to your own feelings as they arise
- cultivate compassion for yourself as a parent or caregiver through meditations and breathing practices
- encourage serenity, self-confidence, and emotional regulation in your children, through stories and activities
- strengthen your bond with your kids and help all of you manage stress
- be more fully present with your children, and more able to give them your undivided attention
- embrace imperfection and focus on the things that really matter
- and more.
The book and the accompanying audio include activities, practices, and stories for both you and for your toddler that cultivate mindful moments and action, and self-compassion.
- Preface: Why this book?
- Introduction: A few words on raising young children
- 1. I will not be that kind of parent
- 2. Let’s start at the very beginning
- 3. What really counts
- 4. Entering our inner worlds
- 5. Your body, your friend
- 6. The present moment: A forgotten need
- 7. The emotions we feel
- 8. Parenting isn’t for the faint of heart
- 9. When your body wants to sleep but not you head
- 10. The garden of souls
- Resources: Inspiring books for parents
- Audio downloads
- About the author
Eline Snel is a therapist and certified MBSR trainer and runs the Academy for Mindful Teaching in the Netherlands. She has been developing and teaching mindfulness-based courses for over twenty years and trains teachers to teach MBSR techniques to students. Her program has been used in numerous primary schools in the Netherlands. She has recently started a pilot project in various secondary schools to teach mindfulness practices to teenagers. For more information, please visit www.elinesnel.com.
“At long last, a mindfulness book for our youngest friends and their caregivers, by mindfulness educator and innovator, Eline Snel. Chock full of wisdom and practice, a wonderful approach to sharing mindfulness.”—Dr. Christopher Willard, author of Raising Resilience.
Other titles in the series:
- The Little Frog Awakes. Mindfulness Exercises for Toddlers (and Their Parents)
- Sitting Still Like a Frog Mindfulness Exercises for Kids
- Sitting Still Like a Frog Activity Book 75 Mindfulness Games for Kids
- Breathe through This. Mindfulness for Parents of Teenagers