Someone Should Have Told Me is a book for adults to share with children. It uses colourful, fun illustrations and simple statements prefaced by “Someone should have told me…,” to help adults talk to children about potential online and face-to-face dangers.
Key topics covered include:
- children seeing pornography online
- face-to-face and online grooming by predators
- sexting and children exposing other children to pornography
- questions to see whether children have understood the key concepts
- information to support adults in their explanations of the potential dangers
- what to do if a child has seen pornography
- what to do if a child discloses that they have been abused
These are difficult conversations to have with children. However, it is important that they are aware of the potential dangers and know how to enhance their safety. Someone Should Have Told Me aims to help you have these conversations with children in a fun, non-confronting way.
We are excited about this new release and believe it is going to be one of the best resources available. It is a must-have for parents, carers, teachers and educators looking to teach children child protection education!
Holly-ann Martin is the founder and Managing Director of Safe4Kids. Her experience spans twenty-five years with the Western Australian Department of Education and Training (DET), in a variety of school settings. Holly-ann’s unique approach to child protection education is underpinned by a whole community focus. This focus is centred around providing safer communities for children through engaging school staff, parents and carers, local police, health workers, Department of Child Protection staff and early years childcare and education workers. Holly-ann’s emphasis centres on developing a language and culture of safety for children and adults alike, improving communication and highlighting and broadening the networks available to children when they are feeling unsafe. The sustained delivery of these programmes is the key to creating a positive influence on both individual and community behaviour.
Other books by Holly-Ann include:
- Matilda Learns a Valuable Lesson – (book one in the series)
- Hayden-Reece Learns a Valuable Lesson That Private Means ‘Just for You’ – (book two in the series)
- Hayden-Reece Learns What to Do if Children See Private Pictures or Private Movies – (book three in the series)
- Gary Just Didn’t Know the Rules – (book four in the series)
- Parents’ and Carers’ Guide to Child Protection Education
- Parents’ Guide to Child Protection Education
Hard cover (Picture book)