Like all dogs, Presley the Pug loves to play, run, and snuggle up under his warm blanket. But sometimes, Presley gets so excited that his feelings take over. Sometimes it’s anger, sometimes stress, sometimes worry. He doesn’t know how to calm down! What can Presley do when he feels like this? Luckily Presley’s canine friends are nearby with some wise words and they share some of the tricks that have worked for them!
This therapeutic activity book was developed by expert child psychologist Dr Karen Treisman. It features a colourful therapeutic story designed to help start conversations about coping with big feelings and how to find calm. It explains how Presley (and the reader!) is able to create a ‘mind retreat’ – an imaginary safe space where he can relax.
The activity book is also packed with creative activities and photocopiable worksheets to help children to explore the ideas raised in the story, including regulating and coping tools like sensory boxes, relaxation exercises and easy yoga poses. It also features advice and practical strategies for parents, carers and professionals supporting children aged 5-10.
Dr Karen Treisman is a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist who has worked in the NHS and children’s services for ten years. She has also worked cross-culturally in Africa and Asia, with groups ranging from former child soldiers to survivors of the Rwandan Genocide. Karen has extensive experience in the areas of trauma, parenting, and attachment, and works clinically using a range of therapeutic approaches with families, children and young people. She is the director of Safe Hands and Thinking Minds Psychological Services (www.safehandsthinkingminds.co.uk), and is an external consultant and trainer to Barnardos, PAC-UK, Hope for families, and the Fostering Network. Karen has worked in several Looked after Children teams and within the National Implementation Service for evidence-based interventions at the Maudsley Hospital. She currently works as Clinical Lead in a court assessment and intensive parenting intervention team in Islington.
Also available from this author
- Therapeutic Treasure Box for Working with Children and Adolescents with Developmental Trauma: Creative Techniques and Activities
- Therapeutic Treasure Deck of Sentence Completion and Feelings Cards
- Therapeutic Treasure Deck of Grounding, Soothing, Coping and Regulating Cards
- Parenting Patchwork Treasure Deck: A Creative Tool for Assessments, Interventions, and Strengthening Relationships with Parents, Carers, and Children
- Gilly the Giraffe Self-Esteem Activity Book: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities for Children Aged 5-10
- Neon the Ninja Activity Book for Children Who Struggle With Sleep and Nightmares: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities for Children Aged 5-10
- Cleo the Crocodile Activity Book for Children Who Are Afraid to Get Close: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities About Trust, Anger, and Relationships for Children Aged 5-10
- Presley the Pug Relaxation Activity Book: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities to Help Children Aged 5-10 to Regulate Their Emotions and to Find Calm
- Binnie the Baboon Anxiety and Stress Activity Book: A Therapeutic Story with Creative and CBT Activities To Help Children Aged 5-10 Who Worry
- Working with Relational and Developmental Trauma in Children and Adolescents
Age range 5 – 10