With over a quarter of a million copies sold, Mindfulness in Plain English is one of the most influential books in the burgeoning field of mindfulness and a timeless classic introduction to meditation. This is a book that people read, love, and share—a book that people talk about, write about, reflect on, and return to over and over again.
Bhante Gunaratana is a Sri Lankan Theravada Buddhist monk and is the founding abbot of the Bhavana Society. Born in Sri Lanka, he has been a monk since age 12 and took full ordination in 1947 at the age of 20, he migrated to the United States in 1968. As Chief Sangha Nayaka Thera for North America, he is the highest-ranking monk of his sect in the US and Canada. He is often affectionately known as Bhante G and has written a number of books, written articles, leads retreats, and teaches worldwide.
Praise & Reviews
- “A classic—one of the very best English sources for authoritative explanations of mindfulness.” —Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence
- “A masterpiece.”—Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “Of great value to newcomers… especially people without access to a teacher.” —Larry Rosenberg, author of Breath by Breath
- “This book is the bible of mindfulness.” —Barry Boyce, editor of The Mindfulness Revolution
- “Bhante writes with clarity and a good sense of humor.” —Ken McLeod, author of Wake Up to Your Life
- “Wonderfully clear and straightforward.” —Joseph Goldstein, author of A Heart Full of Peace
- “Pithy and practical.” —Shambhala Sun
- “Jargon-free.” —USA Today