Employing a range of innovative and creative ideas, this book is full of tips to engage children and promote their wellbeing.
Children are vulnerable to low self-esteem, stress and anxiety because they are still growing and learning. This book looks at what we can do to minimise children’s vulnerability to issues such as these, help them to build emotional resilience and teach them effective strategies for dealing with life’s ups and downs. The book offers a host of different approaches that adults can use with children, including image-making, storytelling and puppetry. Chapters are brought to life with the voices of parents and professionals describing how these techniques worked for them. They also include guidance on how the principles can be used by professionals in the home, in schools or in therapeutic settings.
- 1. Context.
- 2. Meeting the protagonists.
- 3. Twelve down to earth principles for building relationships and enabling change.
- 4. Imagination and creativity.
- 5. Image-making.
- 6. Oral story-telling.
- 7. Making a story.
- 8. Puppetry.
- 9. Stories about relationships and nurturing.
- 10. Stories about skills and qualities and facing challenges.
- 11. Stories about building knowledge and confidence.
- 12. Stories about gaining mastery and achieving goals.
- 13. The next steps.
- Activities index.
- Subject index.
- Author index.
Deborah M. Plummer has over 20 years’ experience of facilitating groups and working individually with both children and adults. Formerly a clinical lead therapist working within the NHS, she also has extensive experience as a senior lecturer in aspects of health psychology and counselling. She runs workshops and short courses on the uses of imagery, games and story-telling in the promotion of well-being.
Also available by Deborah Plummer
- Inspiring and Creative Ideas for Working with Children
- Helping Children to Improve their Communication Skills
- Social Skills Games for Children
- Anger Management Games for Children
- Self Esteem Games for Children
- Using Interactive Imagework with Children
- Helping Adolescents and Adults to Build Self-Esteem Second Edition
- Focusing and Calming Games for Children
- Helping Children to Cope with Change, Stress and Anxiety
- Helping Children to Build Self Esteem (Second Edition)
- The Adventures of the Little Tin Tortoise
“By taking completely natural and fun ways of engaging with children and backing them with evidence, structure and ideas for differentiation, Plummer has created an approach that will both enable and enthrall.” – Dr Pooky Knightsmith, Child and Adolescent Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing Specialist