Even though Gilly the Giraffe has many wonderful things in her life, she sometimes lacks confidence. Why does she have to stand out so much with her long neck, her long black tongue and her mosaic patches? Why do some of the other animals point and laugh at her? Can it be possible to be different and to be cool?
This activity book developed by expert child psychologist Dr Karen Treisman combines a colourfully illustrated therapeutic story about Gilly the Giraffe to help start conversations, which is followed by a wealth of creative activities for children to explore and build upon some of the ideas raised in the story, and beyond!
The activities are accompanied by extensive advice and practical strategies for parents, carers and professionals on how to help children aged 5-10 boost their self-esteem and confidence.
Dr Karen Treisman is a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist who has worked in the NHS and children’s services for ten years. She has also worked cross-culturally in Africa and Asia, with groups ranging from former child soldiers to survivors of the Rwandan Genocide. Karen has extensive experience in the areas of trauma, parenting, and attachment, and works clinically using a range of therapeutic approaches with families, children and young people. She is the director of Safe Hands and Thinking Minds Psychological Services (www.safehandsthinkingminds.co.uk), and is an external consultant and trainer to Barnardos, PAC-UK, Hope for families, and the Fostering Network. Karen has worked in several Looked after Children teams and within the National Implementation Service for evidence-based interventions at the Maudsley Hospital. She currently works as Clinical Lead in a court assessment and intensive parenting intervention team in Islington.
Also available from this author
- A Therapeutic Treasure Box for Working with Children and Adolescents with Developmental Trauma: Creative Techniques and Activities
- A Therapeutic Treasure Deck of Feelings and Sentence Completion Cards
- A Therapeutic Treasure Deck of Grounding, Soothing, Coping and Regulating Cards
- Parenting Patchwork Treasure Deck: A Creative Tool for Assessments, Interventions, and Strengthening Relationships with Parents, Carers, and Children
- Binnie the Baboon Anxiety and Stress Activity Book: A Therapeutic Story with Creative and CBT Activities To Help Children Aged 5-10 Who Worry
- Cleo the Crocodile Activity Book for Children Who Are Afraid to Get Close: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities About Trust, Anger, and Relationships for Children Aged 5-10
- Gilly the Giraffe Self-Esteem Activity Book: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities for Children Aged 5-10
- Presley the Pug Relaxation Activity Book: A Therapeutic Story With Creative Activities to Help Children Aged 5-10 to Regulate Their Emotions and to Find Calm
- Working with Relational and Developmental Trauma in Children and Adolescents
Age range 5 – 10