Dan’s Grandpa tells the story of an Aboriginal boy coming to terms with the death of his grandfather. Young Dan recalls the companionship and instructive experiences he shared with his grandfather, fishing in the mangroves, dancing and stories. Grandpa dies and the loss is marked by the disappearance of Grandpa’s pet Cocky. The boy’s grief evaporates with the joyous return of the Cocky who, to the boy, is Grandpa still looking after him. First published in 1966 and having sold over 17,000 copies, this deeply spiritual and poignant re-issue of Dan’s Grandpa.
A touching easy-to-read family story is a quiet reflection on loss and grief which will appeal to both lower primary students and younger children.
A gentle story about death, mourning and the very special place of grandparents.
Sally Morgan was born in Perth, in 1951. She has published books for both adults and children, including her acclaimed autobiography, My Place. She has also established a national reputation as an artist and has works in many private and public collections.
- Kids Own Australian Literature Awards (Honour Award 2021)
- Adelaide Festival Children’s Literature Award (Shortlisted 2018)
- Prime Minister’s Literary Award (Winner 2016)
- Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Awards (Honour Book 2016)
- Victorian Premier’s Literary Award (Shortlisted 2016)
- Inky Awards (Shortlisted 2016)
- Children’s Book Council of Australia (Notable Book 1998,2012)
- Order of Australia Book Prize (Winner 1990)
- Human Rights Award for Literature (Winner 1987)
- NSW Premier’s Literary Award (Shortlisted 1987)
Bronwyn Bancroft is a descendant of the Bunjalung people of New South Wales, and she grew up in the small country town of Tenterfield. As an artist with an international reputation, her work is represented in galleries throughout Australia and the world. Bronwyn enjoys illustrating as it allows for the wider distribution of Indigenous stories which for a long time have been overlooked.
- Soft cover (Picture book)
- Age range 5+
- Full Colour
- 32 Page