Cognitive Behaviour Therapy: 100 Key Points and Techniques is a crisp, concise elaboration of the 100 main features of the very popular and evidence-based CBT approach within the field of psychotherapy.
In recent decades CBT has been applied to an ever-increasing number of problems (including anxiety disorders, substance abuse and eating disorders) and populations (children, adolescents and older people). With newly incorporated material on supervision, this extensively revised and updated third edition covers CBT theory and practice. Divided into helpful sections, the topics covered include:
- Misconceptions about CBT
- Teaching the cognitive model
- Assessment→case conceptualization→treatment planning
- Ways of detecting and answering negative automatic thoughts (NATs)
- Homework (between-session assignments)
- Conducting behavioural experiments
- Uncovering and restructuring intermediate and core beliefs
- Relapse management
- Third wave CBT
This compact, usable book is an essential guide for psychotherapists and counsellors, both trainee and qualified, who need to ensure they are entirely familiar with the key features of CBT as part of a general introduction to the current major psychotherapies.
- Part 1 CBT THEORY
- Part 2 MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT CBT
- Part 3 CBT PRACTICE
- Getting started
- Ways of detecting NATs
- Examining and responding to NATs
- Ways of identifying underlying assumptions and rules
- Revising assumptions and rules
- Uncovering core beliefs
- Developing and strengthening new/existing core beliefs
- Towards termination and beyond
- Other issues
Michael Neenan is Associate Director of the Centre for Stress Management and Centre for Coaching, Blackheath, and a member of the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies. He has written and edited over 25 books.
Windy Dryden is Emeritus Professor of Psychotherapeutic Studies at Goldsmiths College, University of London, and is an international authority on rational emotive behaviour therapy (REBT). He has worked in psychotherapy for more than 45 years and is the author and editor of over 230 books.